Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Which continent would you like to visit? Why?

I am interested in continents because Brazil is interesting for me. Brazil is beautiful and and I have a lot of friends and family there. Brazil is in South America, close to Mexico and not so much close to North America. I decided to do a survey to find out how many kids wanted to visit South America. I asked them, “Which continent would you like to visit?” Their choices were: Antarctica, South America, Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia. I thought most kids would choose South America.

First I made a chart with my question on it. I surveyed 40 students at Academy School: 20 boys and 20 girls in grades 3, 4, 5 and 6. I wrote down their name, grade, age and how they answered the question. Then I counted how many girls and boys wanted to go to each continent. Finally, I made graphs to show how many people wanted to go to Antarctica, South America, Asia, Africa, Europe and Australia. Here is the bar graph I made:



I was surprised that the same number of people wanted to go to South America, Asia and Australia. And most people want to go to Europe. And only one person wants to go to Antarctica. I was also surprised that most people don’t want to go to South America.

I made another graph comparing boys and girls. I found out that the same number of boys and girls want to go to South America, Asia and Australia. More boys want to visit these continents. Eight girls and four boys want to go to Europe. Twice as many girls want to go to Europe. I don’t know why. One boy and two girls want to go to Africa.



The third graph I made is comparing different ages. I surveyed 4 nine-year-olds, 14 ten-year-olds, 16 eleven-year-olds, and 5 twelve-year-olds. The more important of the ages are ten and eleven-year-olds because they have more people. I found that more ten-year-olds want to go to Europe. The same number of eleven-year-olds (3) want to visit Europe and Australia.

It’s fun but one thing I didn’t like is thinking about this - everything, because I have to think a lot a lot a lot, and look at everything and erase everything. Oh my gosh. I liked asking people “What continent would you like to visit?” Most interesting to me was South America but it’s not fair because I like South America.

So now you can answer the question, "Which continent would you like to visit? Why?" Just click on the comments button and tell me!

Let me know what you think?!
Snow

4 Comments:

At 1:36 PM, Blogger Academy Kids said...

Hi Snow,

I'd like to visit South America, because I've never been there...and I hear it's beautiful!

Thanks for doing such a great job on this project!

Connie

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to go to Europe. I like Europe because I live there. I live in Spain in a little island named Mallorca.

 
At 1:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Snow,

I have visited Europe and Asia. I want to visit all the continents before I die. I would like to visit South America. My son speaks Spanish very well, so I want to take him with me. He knows a little Portuguese, too, which will be helpful when I get to Brazil.

Ms. A

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Snow,
I would like to visit South America because I have never been there. It seems like there would be a lot to see, mountains, rainforests, and beaches. I wonder if I would be okay because i only speak English.

Mrs. Holiday

 

Post a Comment

<< Home