Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Melodi the Hungry Girl!

I surveyed about lunch because I like lunch and I’m always hungry. I wanted to know what’s the favorite lunch of the kids at Academy School. I made a chart with the question, “What’s your favorite lunch?” And the choices were: cheeseburger, spaghetti, tuna salad, pizza, hamburger and hot dog. I wanted to put chicken nuggets too, because I like them, but I forgot. I thought most children would choose hot dog because hot dogs are yummy.

I surveyed 31 children in grades 4 and 6, 11 girls and 20 boys. I went to the classrooms and asked the kids about lunch. I was nervous because I didn’t know them and I’m Spanish and not English. I thought some of them might speak Spanish but all of them speak English. In fourth grade, there were 4 kids that I know. They were Kevin, Carrie, Snow and Fruti. I was feeling good because I know them and they’re my friends. Carrie is my best friend there and sometimes I go over to her house to sleep.

I counted how many children there were in all, and none of them liked tuna salad. Nobody. Almost all of the students - fourteen students in all the classes - liked pizza the best. One student, a sixth grade girl, likes cheeseburgers. And I love cheeseburgers and hot dogs.

After I surveyed the kids, I separated the boys and the girls because like that I know how many girls and how many boys like different lunches. Here are the graphs I made:



When I looked at these graphs, I saw that the boys are like stairs and the girls are like one hill and two mountains. The first stair of the boys is hamburgers; the second stair is cheeseburgers; the third stair is spaghetti; and the last stair is pizza. This tells me that the boys like these four lunches. When I look at the girls’ graph, I see that all the girls except one like spaghetti and pizza for lunch.

The next graphs I made, I separated the grades - sixth grade was green and fourth grade was orange. These graphs shows what the fourth and sixth grade students like:


On the sixth grade bar graph, the first bar looks like a little house; the second one looks like an office building; and the third one looks like a skyscraper. This tells me that all the sixth graders except one like pizza and spaghetti - just like the girls’ graph. The fourth grade graph looks like stairs, just like the boys’ graph. This tells me that the least favorite for the fourth graders is hamburgers; the next is hot dogs; the most favorite are pizza and spaghetti.

Actually I’m getting really hungry! I’m always hungry and it’s almost lunchtime.

2 Comments:

At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, think I like hot dogs best too, but only with lots of ketchup and mustard! I'm impressed with your research.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, Kids Around the World! I love to read your blog and see what you are doing in school! Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home